Tuesday, February 08, 2005

I'm trying this again...

I've put this off for a while. Over the past several weeks, I've been reading more and more blogs. I've started using My Yahoo, which allows me to add the RSS feeds of various blogs and other pages and see the updates all on one page. It makes it easy to view blogs regularly, and that's exactly what I've been doing.

But despide my increase in blog-reading, my blog-writing has frozen. Why?

I think there are three reasons:

a) I'm busy. I'm actually really busy - with work, home, my shul, other projects etc. Now it's not that I don't waste time (see my reading blogs above.) But writing takes energy and a certain amount of commitment. For me to declare that I have the energy and time to write, then I'm basically saying that I officially am putting off more important things. And that's hard to do.

b) I don't know if I bring myself to write about the real things that are important to me. It's hard to get them out, so I'm concerned I'll end up writing fluff, and that won't bring me back (or potential readers.)

c) I think the thing I'm most afraid of is The Last Curse. I'm referring to the set of curses in Devarim (Deuteronomy), where God promises just about every bad thing that can happen to the Jewish people. War, famine, disease - you name it. But the very last curse - what would appear logically to be the worst of all is:

And there you will offer yourselves for sale to your enemies as slaves and slavewomen, and there will be no buyer. (Devarim 28:68)

The idea here is that not only are you sold into slavery, but no one even wants to buy you. And so the fear would be that not only would I spend valuable time writing things that I think are important - but it wouldn't interest anyone.

But here I go anyway. I guess even if no one else reads this, it can be cathartic for me, and at least all these strange ideas running through my skull will be somewhat organized.

So I'll try to write at least one thing daily - and see how it goes.