Wednesday, August 17, 2005

strange things on the news


I’m a news junkie. I read news sites, often catch the news on TV, and at least on the weekend read a paper or two.

But one of my most constant sources of news is the radio. Actually, the cell phone. Often when I have down time, I call one of the numbers that lets me hear the latest news bulletins - from Reshet Bet, Galei Tzahal or Channel 2. I know it’s not the best use of money, but I need my fix.

Anyway, after many hours of listening to the radio news, they have a few phrases that I think need elucidation.

  1. Often when reporting on criminal activity, they will refer to a person as “known to the police.” I don’t know, but the way they say it makes it like they’re old friends, maybe went to high school together. But if for some reason they’re talking about the fact that they know that the fellow is involved in criminal activity, perhaps they could have arrested him earlier?

  2. This has been a hot summer. But on the weather report, they only mention that today there will be a “slight rise in temperature.” That doesn’t sound so bad, until you realize that yesterday it felt like a furnace outside - so today will be even worse!

  3. This is actually a serious question. In the morning (I think mostly at 6 AM on Reshet Bet, and no, I’m not on my cell phone then, but it’s actually my alarm clock) they often mention that for certain army units in certain regions there will be “difficult weather conditions” between let’s say 9 AM and 5 PM. Other regions will have different times. Does anyone know exactly what they’re referring to?